History has been made today in the boxing world, as featherweight boxer Orlando Cruz has come out as a "proud gay man."
The Puerto Rican native, 31, told USA Today: "I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself. I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career."
He then went on to say, "I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."
Cruz is a former Olympian (from the Sydney Olympics no less). Cruz has been fighting professionally since December 2000. His next fight is scheduled for Oct. 19 2012.
Guidetogay.com is the leading travel, news and social network for the LGBTQI community. Join us on social media.
Latest from Guidetogay.com
- Heritage of Pride Responds to Community Concerns
- ANZ and Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras open applications for national LGBTQI community grants program
- 15 great minds to help boost Sydney’s nightlife
- PrEP to be added to Australia's PBS slashing costs.
- Ten's Ten's Ten's across the board - Drag Race season 10