So, you have the extra sports channels locked in, the snacks to nibble on whilst the athletes of the world make you feel guilty for popping anything into your mouth - there is just one more thing you need - the list of our communities sporting superstars so you can rally behind the pink who are going for the gold!
Well, let me tell you that the number of openly gay and lesbian athletes at the 2012 London Summer Olympics is on par with the totals for Athens in 2004 and Beijing in 2008.
There are 13 openly gay and lesbian London Olympians, plus one coach. This compares with 11 in Athens and 10 in Beijing.
The 13 openly gay and lesbians athletes are:
Matthew Mitcham (Australia, diving)
Edward Gal (Netherlands, equestrian)
Judith Arndt (Germany, cycling)
Seimone Augustus (U.S., basketball)
Imke Duplitzer (Germany, fencing)
Megan Rapinoe (U.S. soccer)
Marilyn Agliotti (Netherlands, field hockey)
Maartje Paumen (Netherlands, field hockey)
Natalie Cook (Australia, beach volleyball)
Alexandra Lacrabère (France, handball)
Jessica Landström (Sweden, soccer)
Carole Péon (France, triathlon)
Jessica Harrison (France, triathlon)
* Péon and Harrison are a couple. In addition, Pia Sundhage, U.S. women’s soccer head coach, is openly gay.
So there you have it - the full list of openly Gay athletes. Check your local listings for when they are on - and instead of championing for your own country - go for the rainbow flag!
- Matthew Mitcham
- Edward Gal
- Judith Arndt
- Seimone Augustus
- Imke Duplitzer
- Megan Rapinoe
- Marilyn Agliotti
- field hockey
- Maartje Paumen
- Natalie Cook
- beach volleyball
- Alexandra Lacrabère
- Jessica Landström
- Carole Péon
- Jessica Harrison
- Pia Sundhage
Guidetogay.com is the leading travel, news and social network for the LGBTQI community. Join us on social media.
Latest from Guidetogay.com
- San Fransisco Drag to bodyslam wrestling's homophobic stereotype
- Sydney's Midnight Shift bought by hotel group that owns Kinselas.
- Sydney's Pride crossing gets a new home
- Heritage of Pride Responds to Community Concerns
- ANZ and Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras open applications for national LGBTQI community grants program