Greens Deputy Leader Adam Bandt and Senator Sarah Hanson-Young have announced a date for a vote on Mr Bandt's Marriage Equality Amendment Bill in the House of Representatives.
Mr Bandt will seek to bring on a vote on the Bill on Thursday, June 6 to make same-sex marriage lawful in Australia.
“Following successful votes in the New Zealand, UK and France this vote will ensure every MP’s position is clear before the election,” Mr Bandt said.
“Tony Abbott and Julia Gillard will have an opportunity to get behind the tide of history.”
“Mr Abbott needs to listen to the members of his own party, as well as the Australian people, who are calling out for a conscience vote on marriage equality,” Sarah Hanson-Young said.
“The Greens have a second Bill in the Senate that would see international same-sex marriages recognised in Australia.”
“Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott need to recognise that the time for equality has arrived.”
Guidetogay.com is the leading travel, news and social network for the LGBTQI community. Join us on social media.
Latest from Guidetogay.com
- San Fransisco Drag to bodyslam wrestling's homophobic stereotype
- Sydney's Midnight Shift bought by hotel group that owns Kinselas.
- Sydney's Pride crossing gets a new home
- Heritage of Pride Responds to Community Concerns
- ANZ and Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras open applications for national LGBTQI community grants program