It was an overwhelming victory for equality in Australia - but let us not forget those who voted against the will of the Australian people and in some cases, their electorates. The following list shows those that voted NO and those that abbott-stained... we mean abstained from even voting.
Who abstained from the same-sex marriage vote?
- Barnaby Joyce (Nationals)
- Tony Abbott (Liberals)
- Andrew Hastie (Liberals)
- Michael Sukkar (Liberals)
- Kevin Andrews (Liberals)
- Scott Morrison (Liberals)
- George Christensen (LNP)
- Rick Wilson (Liberals)
- Stuart Robert (Liberals)
- Bert van Manen (Liberals)
What about no votes?
- Bob Katter (independent)
- Russell Broadbent (Liberal)
- Keith Pitt (Nationals)
- David Littleproud (Nationals)
Guidetogay.com is the leading travel, news and social network for the LGBTQI community. Join us on social media.
- It's Australia's election day on Saturday - so who was against same sex marriage?
- Taiwan becomes first Asian country to legalise Marriage Equality.
- What makes a great celebrant? One year since Australia changes law from man and woman to "two people".
- PrEP to be added to Australia's PBS slashing costs.
- UK Popstars unite in support of Marriage Equality in Australia