Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Lifetime Achievement Award-winning queen of incredible costume designs, the incomparable Ron Muncaster has passed away.
Ron Muncaster passed away at a hospice in Darlinghurst on Tuesday. He was 81.
The Master of Sequins as he was known to many played a pivotal role in the costuming direction of the parade over decades and brought much attention to the event via the mainstream media making the event the shimmering celebration of protest and celebration it is today.
In 2014 Ron Muncaster was given the Mardi Gras Lifetime Achievement Award, and starting this year our annual Parade Costume Award is named 'the Ron Muncaster Award for Best Costume' in his honour.
Mardi Gras has announced it now plans to honour Ron at the 40th Anniversary Parade on Saturday 3 March 2018.
Guidetogay.com is the leading travel, news and social network for the LGBTQI community. Join us on social media.
Latest from Rob Manser
- US Supreme Court Allows Trans Military Ban to go ahead
- Next Heaven Social Dance to pay tribute to one of its founders, Ian Stumbles.
- What makes a great celebrant? One year since Australia changes law from man and woman to "two people".
- ANZ and Mardi Gras dish out grants
- Europe's Pride get's a downunder touch.